Brazilian Cheese Puffs (Pao de Queijo)
I had some left over tapioca starch and wanted to make something new. This was my first time making these babies but certainly not my last! I actually made these like 2 months ago and was too lazy to post the recipe. I’ve read a few different variations of this recipe which is more of a batter rather than dough. I made a few minor changes, just because I never follow a recipe to the T. I just can’t. So here goes…
Pão de Queijo
1 cup milk (any kind is fine)
1/4 cup oil
2 Tbs butter
2 cups tapioca flour*
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
* Tapioca Flour can be found at specialty markets such as Whole Foods or Asian markets and is also called tapioca starch.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2.Mix the milk, oil, butter and eggs in a blender or food processor till smooth.
3. Slowly add the flour and pulse till it’s mixed. It can get stuck so just scrape down the sides.
4. Add the cheese and pulse until it turns into a smooth mixture similar to pancake batter. If it seems too think add more milk. Too runny, and more flour…or cheese 🙂
5. Add mixture to greased muffin pan. Fill just below the full line. (I used one mini, and one normal)
6. Bake for about 15-20 mins. They are done when puffed up and golden.
Eat while warm! I did freeze a few and reheated in the oven, and they actually tasted ok. If you reheat in the microwave, they become soggy…but I still thought they tasted good!
I actually ate things along with my recipe for beet avocado salad.